Monday, September 12, 2005

Agassi vs Federer


Yup, it's about the US open championship 2005 - Men's singles finals. Though it was not a thrilling match with a nail biting finish or anything, it was still worth watching. I am a Federer fan myself and Federer was no doubt the best player yesterday but it was Agassi who stole the show. It was amazing to see how this guy, even at the age of 35, could be so good. He played some outstanding shots that kept Federer under great pressure during the second and third set. At one point of time, during the third set, he got Federer really upset that the tension & pressure was clearly visible on his face. And after that Federer came fighting back really well and really hard on Agassi. After winning the tie-breaker in the third set, the fourth set was just a cake walk for him.

According to me, Agassi should definitely be a contended man in the end b’coz he fought really well. He played some extraordinary tennis and considering his age, he was really at his BEST yesterday. It was just that his opponent turned out to be even BETTER. Pete Sampras is my all-time favourite and when comparing Pete & Roger, Agassi said “Pete was great, I mean, no question. But there was a place to get to with Pete. You knew what you had to do. If you do it, it could be on your terms. There's no such place like that with Roger.” He also added, “He's the best I've ever played against”. Now that’s something Federer would have been more happy than even winning the title, I guess. Federer also mentioned that "For me this is probably the most special grand slam final in my career. To play against Andre here in New York, it's a dream.”


All said and done, it was just a great match that I saw in recent times and one of the matches I’ll remember for a long time. At the end of the day, that’s what matters to a fan like me. Right?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Post Preethi.
Agassi v Federer was undoubtedly the second best attraction of the week,( coz as a cricket fanatic Ashes takes the lead :) ).
As u sed, Agassi was the highlight at the Flushing meadows, as he played fantastic tennis, especially taking his AGE into account, but at the end of the day, Federer emerged as the Champion. I am great fan of both players, but Federer deserved to win it.

Good write up Preethi !

9/12/2005 3:57 PM  
Blogger Aatma said...

Didn't watch the match, but looks like it was really great

9/12/2005 4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home