Friday, July 15, 2005

Top 5 songs of the year (Jan to June)

My friend, Filbert came up with the mid year review of top 5 songs in his blog and also tagged me to come up with my Top 5 so far in this year. According to me, none of the albums released so far was a wholesome entertainer. There were just a couple of songs in each album that were good to hear. I was even beginning to worry whether those good old days have come to an end when it was very difficult to pick just 1 song from an album. Anyways, I begin my list hoping that the second part of the year is not as bad as this one.

1) Andha nal nyabagam ~ (Adhu oru kana kalam)
Music Director: Ilayaraja
Singers: Shreya Ghosal, Vijay Yesudas

This one is a neat melody from the “Maestro”. Very few songs sound appealing the first time we hear it. This one’s definitely from that category. Especially, Shreya and Vijay’s voice are mesmerizing. Vijay has done a very good job and he seems to have inherited the greatest gift from his father. Lucky him!

2) Iyengaru veetu azhage ~ (Anniyan)
Music Director: Harris Jeyaraj
Singers: Hariharan, Harini

I used to love this song before I saw the movie. “used to”?? yes, after I saw the picturization, I was greatly disappointed. That’s a different story all together. Coming back to the song, this one is a wonderful melody from HJ. The classical touch in the song along with the voices of Hariharan & Harini makes it even more enchanting. Easily the best pick of the album.

3) Athinthom ~ (Chandramukhi)
Music Director: Vidyasagar
Singer: SPB

This song is my favorite only because of SPB. The music was a good try by Vidyasagar, a classical/melody mixture. Though the music was not very great, SPB’s voice was awesome. I started liking the song from the moment I heard the first word in the song “Athinthom” in SPB’s voice. Its still ringing in my ears.

4) Konjam Konjam ~ (Arindhum Ariyamalum)
Music Director: Yuvan Shakar Raja
Singers: Kammt, Maheeva

This one is a great piece of music from YSR which was badly sung (Never heard of the singer before). I don’t know why people think it’s a style to mispronounce the words. I am not sure if it is sung that way deliberately or they just can't pronounce the words correctly. Either ways, I am sorry, it sucks. But the music was amazing. The album had a couple of other good numbers too.

5) Khajraho ~ ( Oru naal oru kanavu)
Music Director: Ilayaraja
Singers: Hariharan, Shreya Ghosal

Another good one from the “Maestro”. Though this album has several other good numbers, this one is my personal favorite. I like such little fast melodies (???). Though it was not very great at first, I started liking it on repeated hearing.

Before I end this post, I have to mention about one song. Though it is nothing great, this song is the one that I am hearing too the most these days. Its “Andankaka” from Anniyan. Sometimes I like such fast folk songs. Something to lift your spirits when you are down.

4 Comments:

Blogger freethoughtguy said...

How about "Beverly Hills" by Weezer?

7/15/2005 2:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Preethi,

You know how much I hear to songs, so I really can't comment anything abt it. but "Athinthom" was a good pick. It wud go on my list, jus for SPB.

7/15/2005 10:27 AM  
Blogger Smashinguy said...

Hey Christmas Friend!! Can you think of one reason why I wouldn't remember you? Anyways, i am right now in Kuala Lumpur airport waiting for my flight to Melbourne and I saw your comment on my blog. Thank you for coming by. I think your blog is interesting and fun. Keep the blogging happening! Keep in touch.

7/17/2005 9:24 PM  
Blogger Saravan said...

Thanks for visiting my blog.

It was a bad year for film music. till now there is no good album. here is my top 5 list,

Mazhai Mazhai (Ullam Ketkummae)
Andha nal nyabagam (Adhu oru kana kalam)
Arariraro (Ram)
Konjam Konjam (Arindhum Ariyamalum)
Kathalai Yaaradi (Thaka Thimi Tha)

7/17/2005 10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home