Sunday, July 10, 2005

KB - The living legend


Today is K. Balachander's 75th B'day (source) and also the first day shoot of his 101st film, "Poi". Tamil film industry is very indebted to him for introducing many great actors including “Thalaivar”. Also, how can we forget his exceptional films like “Aval oru thodarkadhai”, “Ek thuje keliye”, “Thillu Mullu”, “Pudhu Pudhu Arthangal”, “Sindu Bhairavi”, “Punngai Mannan”, “Azhagan”, “Kalki”…the list is never ending. I just feel that most of his characters were not appreciated much because they were ahead of time. If only some of his old films were released now, they would have been accepted widely. I have always admired his different approach in his films. Of course, he has also given a few disappointing movies. But as we all know, nobody is perfect.

In addition to movies, he has also directed some wonderful serials like “Kaialavu manasu”, “Anni” & “Sahana”. While most of the serials are just meant to be a total melodrama, his serials were definitely of different genre and interesting. Now, even at the age of 75, he is all set to direct his next movie. I really wish he provides us with one more of his finest movies.

My heartiest wishes to the living legend. Happy Birthday KB sir!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree Preethi, KB sir, is a living legend. He is all about variety. I seriously wonder, how cud he direct movies on totally different genres with perfect excellence. take "Thillu Mullu" and "Aval oru thodar kathai" for example. I can even go to the extend of saying that "Thillu Mullu" was the best comedy movie ever made in Tamil. Even I am looking forward for his new movie. & I guess the movie is subject to a title change, I guess the new name is " 'Ilamaikku Poi Azhagu' " ..am not 100% sure thou', check it if u can.

7/10/2005 2:00 PM  
Blogger Filbert said...

Preethi,
Vaaname Ellai is one classic which is probably missing from your list. But his movies of late - Paarthaale Paravasam, Duet - have been pedestrian to say the least. Lets hope he comes up with a good one with his new film.

7/12/2005 3:42 PM  
Blogger Preethi said...

True Filby, "Vaname Ellai" was definitely a classic. I wonder how I missed that out. Another one of his movies which was not a great hit but one of my personal favourites is "Jadhi Malli". There was something good abt that one.

7/14/2005 11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home