Friday, June 17, 2005

Interesting facts – North Carolina


It’s been long since my previous “Interesting facts” post, so I thought its time I come up with the next. When I got to thinking about what should I pick this time, the first thing that struck me was the place I am living in. Well, it’s been almost 4 months since I moved to this place and I hardly know anything about it. So I rolled up my sleeves and got to work and this is what I found.

  • State Motto - "Esse Quam Videri" - To Be, Rather Than To Seem
  • In 1903 the Wright Brothers made the first successful powered flight by man at Kill Devil Hill near Kitty Hawk.
  • The University of North Carolina Chapel Hill is the oldest State University in the United States.
  • Pepsi Cola was invented in New Bern, almost 107 years ago in 1898
  • Krispy Kreme Doughnut was founded in Winston-Salem.
  • North Carolina has the largest state-maintained highway system in the United States.
  • The first miniature golf course was built in Fayetteville.
  • The largest, privately owned house in America is the Biltmore Estate in Ashville. It includes a 255-room chateau, an award-winning winery and extensive gardens.
  • North Carolina has 1,500 lakes of 10 acres or more in size and 37,000 miles of fresh water streams

I'll be back with more Interesting facts... soon (???)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home