Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Interesting facts – Coffee


This post is the result of the “gamma gamma” filter coffee that I am having for the last couple of days. Thanks to my friend Priya’s Mom, I am enjoying every sip of my coffee these days. So as always, I just wanted to know more about the refreshing coffee that I enjoy every day. So here it comes,

  • Coffee is the world's second most popular drink after water.
  • It is consumed at the rate of 1400 million cups per day.
  • We say coffee beans although they are really berries.
  • A coffee tree has a lifespan of about 50 to 70 years.
  • It takes five years for a coffee tree to reach maturity. The average yield from one tree is the equivalent of one roasted pound of coffee.
  • The first coffee house in Europe opened in Venice in 1683, while coffee was available in Europe as early as 1608.
  • In December 2001 Brazil produced a scented postage stamp to promote its coffee - the smell should last between 3 and 5 years.
  • The second most widely used product in the world after oil.
  • Goats actually discovered the coffee plant. Their shepherd noticed that they were getting very hyper; therefore, one day, he followed their every move, and found out that they were eating a strange berry that was keeping them awake all day and night.
  • Turkish bridegrooms were once required to make a promise during their wedding ceremonies to always provide their new wives with coffee. If they failed to do so, it was grounds for divorce!

  • Update:
  • Largest producers of coffee in the world: Brazil followed by Colombia and Vietnam make up the top 3 bracket, with Brazil's coffee production contributing 35% of the world's coffee production. (Thanks Filby)

I am sure there are many ill effects of having coffee too. But why would I want to know about that. As long as I just have 2 cups of coffee a day. Right Mummy? ;)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Preethi,

I really envy U, having 2 cups of filter coffee everyday is toooo much .. :( A good post Preethi, dint know Coffee was soo popular.

7/18/2005 10:52 PM  
Blogger Smashinguy said...

Filter coffee...Besh Besh!! ;-)

I am not an avid coffee drinker, but I really enjoy a cup every now and then, esp., filter coffee.

This being the case I hope I dont get a wife who drinks too much coffee!! :-))

As for the popularity of the drink, I guess the western world will cease to exist should the drink become unavailable!

7/19/2005 2:23 AM  
Blogger Smashinguy said...

Hey, I have left a comment on your Angels and Demons post. :-) I love the book...have you read the da Vinci Code yet?

7/19/2005 2:26 AM  
Blogger Filbert said...

Preethi,
A good point to add would be about the largest producers of coffee in the world: Brazil followed by Colombia and Vietnam make up the top 3 bracket, with Brazil's coffee production contributing 35% of the world's coffee production.

7/19/2005 3:04 PM  
Blogger Aatma said...

Man o Man and I thought I was the only one crazy about the drink. Cool stuff about coffee.

By the way "Gamma Gamma" where did u get this coffee from - Is it from India or US. And filter coffee - u are a lucky one aren't u ?

8/02/2005 5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home