Wednesday, May 31, 2006

A small feat - 12 Books in a year

To be frank, I won’t call myself a voracious reader. I do read books once in a while, but I am never a regular reader. But this past year has been a gr8 one, as I have read 12 books, averaging 1 book a month. That’s definitely an achievement for me. The following are the list of books that I read in the last 12 months, in that order.

1) Angels & Demons – Dan Brown

2) The Da Vinci Code – Dan Brown

3) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s stone – J K Rowling

4) Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets – J K Rowling

5) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban – J K Rowling

6) Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire – J K Rowling

7) Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix – J K Rowling

8) Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince – J K Rowling

9) The Time Keeper – Kevin Cropp

10) The Rule of Four – Ian Caldwell & Dustin Thomason

11) Are you afraid of the dark? – Sidney Sheldon

12) Sons of Fortune – Jeffrey Archer

Thru’ these books, I was introduced to few new authors. First, Dan Brown is a talented author who can successfully deliver a racy thriller. His strong point is that he weaves the story around places that are well known. Also the puzzles and symbols keep the reader glued to the book till the last page. Next, JK Rowling has a unique gift of imagination and she presents the story & events in such a way that we are made to believe that there really exists a world filled with witches & wizards. And there can’t be one person who does not love her main character, Harry & his 2 wonderful friends, Ron & Hermoine.


The 3rd author, Kevin Cropp is a budding writer and also my colleague. This is his first book and he has well brought out the emotions between a teen age son and a dying mother. This is an awesome effort for a first time writer. “The Rule of Four” is a combined effort of 2 authors, Ian Caldwell & Dustin Thomason. This is also a racy thriller and generally people who like “The Da Vinci Code” will also like this one.


Lastly, I have read most of the books of Sidney Sheldon before and it came as a total surprise to me that I felt “Are you afraid of the dark” was very lame. I am not sure if it is Sidney Sheldon who lost his charm or it’s me who has grown too old for such books. On the other hand, “Sons of Fortune” was an interesting read, it was pretty much the same class of other Jeffrey Archer books that I have read before.

5 Comments:

Blogger Balaji said...

i've read #s 1 to 8 also. but i couldn't finish 'rule of 4'(even though i loved 'da vinci code'). found it too slow and boring :(

6/02/2006 3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

" I am not sure if it is Sidney Sheldon who lost his charm or it’s me who has grown too old for such books "

...looking at your Harry Potter's list, I think you have grown too young for Sidney Sheldon's books.....:)

6/04/2006 1:33 PM  
Blogger Preethi said...

Sesh,

True...When I started to read the first Harry Potter book, I never thot I'll read all the 6 books in just 3 months. And yeah, I AM a BIG-TIME Harry Potter fan.

6/09/2006 4:59 PM  
Blogger Preethi said...

Balaji,

I agree with you...'The Rule of 4' was definitely not as racy as 'The Da Vinci Code'. But though it started slow, it did pick up pace and was an interesting read.

6/09/2006 5:02 PM  
Blogger Preethi said...

Ravi,

So you are among one of those who think Harry Potter books are only for kids. I was like you too until I started reading them. Trust me, there's nothing kiddish abt them...In fact, I think more than kids, its the grown ups who are completely crazy abt HP books. Abt Sidney Sheldon, he has definitely lost his magic in 'Are you Afraid of the Dark?'. I hope he comes up with a more interesting book next time.

Thanks for visiting!

6/09/2006 5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home