Thursday, February 09, 2006

Finally BACK

Before you think I had such a long vacation in India, please STOP…I ‘literally’ came back more than a month ago. It just took me some more time to settle down to the routine again. India trip was fabulous. As I said before….HOME IS HOME (Period). Had great food (Smack!….Amma samayal na summa va?), did lots of shopping, visited many friends, got my Visa stamped, also caught up with some Mega serials,etc. It was loads of fun.

I went to India after about 2 yrs. This was the longest period I was away from home. I don’t know if it was because of the long gap or I have got used to the system here, but I found one thing very weird - Lack of Courtesy.

Thanks to the Multiplexes and hi-fi shopping malls, we now have glass doors for most of the entrances in India. You approach a door, you see someone entering in, and you hope they will keep it open for few seconds so that u can hold it, but BANG – reality slaps at U fast. You walk into the store awestruck, looking at all the colorful & shining dresses and OUCH – somebody just stamped on your leg with boots. You turn around and wait for an apology. But it ends up you are the only one who is standing there in pain & vain. You select an amazing “short kurta” and want to try it on. So you stand in a line in front of the fitting room. After about 15 mins, when it is finally your turn to enter, someone just comes out of nowhere and gets inside ahead of you. You just stand there wondering if finally you have found that “Invisible coat” that you were long hoping for.

You finally get done with your shopping and head home. Now comes the most frustrating part…the traffic. The day I landed in India, I was so thrilled to see multiple lanes on the roads. But my happiness was short lived; those lines don’t mean a thing to people. A road ‘technically’ just had 2-3 lanes. But there are atleast 6-7 buses, cars, auto-rickshaws, bikes, cycles that ride side by side. When a signal turns green, everybody starts rushing to cross it, create a commotion there, as a result of which, hardly a handful get to move forward before the signal turns red again. So after you complete 8 kms of drive in 1.5 hrs, you reach home. You get into the elevator along with 5-6 people. You say, “9 please” and see that no one moves a muscle. So you say it again, this time louder, “9 PLEASE” and still no response. Man...you just have to wait until a couple of people get down at 3rd floor, so that you can reach for the button and press 9.

All these incidents just made me wonder, does a thing called ‘Courtesy’ even exists in our country? Are people even aware that we have to show some concern to the people around us? And these did not happen on just one day. Things like these happened wherever I went. And not just one city; Mumbai, Ahmedabad, Hyderabad, Coimbatore – everywhere. May be not the same incidents, but similar.

Though our country is improving a lot in terms of Economy, the way of living, Education, etc, I think people in India still need to take a major STEP in terms of Courtesy towards others. And I sincerely hope they do it soon.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"people in India still need to take a major STEP in terms of Courtesy towards others"

In fact, they do...very good point!

2/12/2006 1:16 AM  
Blogger Ali Thanikkal said...

I have been this juzfun guy all the while! and was lil peeved when i didnt get it here in blogspot. just got curious to know who have taken my pet title. It turned out to be you!
So i added lil more zing to the title and got myself a juzZfun here -;)

Well, i remember reading a Shashi Tharoor column, in Hindu, why Indians are so self centered and all they care is only for their family and nothing beyond it. He thinks our own much talked family system is to blame! in fact this lack of courtesy towards others is one of the most appalling and disgusting thing about the average India, and this strikes even more when one is used to the way the world outside treats each other!

2/22/2006 10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Though our country is improving a lot in terms of Economy, the way of living, Education, etc, I think people in India still need to take a major STEP in terms of Courtesy towards others. And I sincerely hope they do it soon

Hope so!

first time on ur blog .nice blog u have.used the link from sesh blog.

2/24/2006 10:58 AM  
Blogger Preethi said...

Sesh,

U had a hearty laugh over my plight? Hmm...Wait until I do the same to U in the elevator sometime...;)


Krishna,

Glad that U feel the same way.

2/24/2006 1:31 PM  
Blogger Preethi said...

Juzfun,

Darn! I am sure U must be frustated. U know what, I was actually hoping to get "jusfun". Since it was already taken, I had to settle down for "juzfun". I guess it happens to everyone.

Nagraj,

Welcome & thanks for ur comments. Keep visiting!

2/24/2006 1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Preethi that was a really nice read and good observation. But what is so interesting to note is that many of the people who have lived comfortably in India for so many years move on to the so called foreign shores and suddenly the Indian-ness becomes so passe and unacceptable. We Indians have a lot to work towards, but why don't u do you two bit for the country rather than make a trip once in two years and complain about the place?

4/05/2006 4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said anonymous
I guess preethi was very courteous in india for 22 years before goin to U.S

6/12/2006 5:24 AM  
Blogger Preethi said...

Anonymous 1:

First things first, though I have stayed in US for 4 yrs now, I am still an INDIAN and will always proudly be. And I have no problem with "Indian-ness", whatever u have referred to. This post is not from an outsiders point of view of OUR country. This is an Indian's point of view of my own country. I am not just complaining...I only wish that as my country is moving ahead in so many other sectors, I wud be greatly happy if people start to be a little more courteous towards others too. The main reason why I was concerned b'coz, my country is adored all ard the world not for its IT brains but for its humble people. Yes, Indians are admired for their respect for elders, for their love towards their family, for their humanity towards fellow citizens and I am proud of that fact. If that seems to be reducing, then I am sorry, that's definitely a concern for me.

6/12/2006 9:47 AM  
Blogger Preethi said...

Anonymous 2:

Yes, in every possible way, I have always tried to be courteous all my life...all my 25 yrs...reagardless of where I have been. I can't see why the 'place' where you stay shud have anything to do with being courteous.

6/12/2006 9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home