Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Long weekend...Indian style

Just back to normal after the ‘long’ weekend. People in US would definitely know about the hype created by these long weekends. People start planning couple of months ahead, deciding on places, ticket prices shoot up, the excitement of the trip creeps in a week before...everybody wants to go some place & have fun. All these ‘hungama’ got me thinking about what I used to do on a typical Indian ‘long’ weekend...

Well, as most of the holidays in India are associated with religious festival of some kind, my most treasured ‘thing’ usually gets compromised...’My Sleep’. So as soon as I get up, I start cribbing over my lost sleep for sometime and then get ready to go to some temple. The one thing that I never understood was, even if it was not a religious holiday, the best place that we could come up with to visit for the day would be ‘some temple’. And to my surprise, the long queues at the temples would prove that there are many people out there who seem to concur.

So after some waiting & pushing at the long lines, the ‘darshan’ would finally be over and we would then go to a restaurant for a good lunch. Then after we head back home, I would run to my bed for a ‘short’ nap (aah, finally) and my dad would wake me up in no time. By evening, I will freshen up and sit glued to the 'idiot box' for the rest of the day to watch some recent crappy movie which is being telecasted for the first time (Indhiye tholaikatchigalil mudhal muraiage, thiraiku vandhu sile madhangale ana, putham pudhiye thirai padam….blah blah!)

When I try to recollect, most of my holidays were spent in the same manner. No planning months before, no visiting new places, no 'hungama'. Even though the holidays in India sound less exciting & fun than in US, a corner of my heart still craves for those memorable days……anybody agreeing with me?

1 Comments:

Blogger Filbert said...

Back in India, if you had stayed away from family in hostels, then the long weekends had special meanings bcos thats when you will meet all the friends at your native place. So, long weekends in India were easily much more fun!!

6/01/2005 8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home