Thursday, May 26, 2005

Interesting Facts - The Butterfly



Before starting my own blog, I decided that I am gonna learn something new, as I write (hmm, its a little too much to expect from me). Though it is definitely not possible in all my posts, the point is, I just wanted to know more about the things that I relish a lot.....little things that are left unnoticed of. Like for example, "The Butterfly".

Whenever I see a butterfly, I get so excited that I almost feel like a small kid again. So today when I saw one, I immediately decided to read more about it....and these are some interesting facts that I came across....


  • There are between ten and twenty thousand species of butterflies in the world.
  • The largest butterfly in the world is the Queen Alexandra Birdwing, with a wingspan of about 28 cm. One of the smallest is the Western Pigmy Blue that has a wingspan of about one centimeter.
  • The fastest butterfly may travel at 80 km per hour. The slower ones flutter about at only a few km per hour.
  • The longest recorded flight of a monarch butterfly is more than 3,000 miles. The monarch can cover 80 miles a day when migrating.
  • Butterflies taste with their feet.
  • If their body temperature is less than 86 degrees butterflies cannot fly, so often butterflies absorb heat by basking in the sun.
  • Butterflies prefer flowers that are pink, yellow, red, or purple and have single petals.

Pretty cool, huh?

1 Comments:

Blogger Filbert said...

Though butterflies have always eluded us due to their speed, I never imagined that they can fly as fast as 80 kmph. A good post, Preethi!!

6/01/2005 7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home